Thursday 16 January 2014

Mixed Media Illustration Experiments

Mixed Media Fashion Illustration
Lens based and Hand Rendered Response
For these pieces I printed out two A4 images in colour. These photographs were from a photosoot I did based on clothing and posters from wartime in the 1940's I then used acylic paint in a colour that I found was used often in clothes patterns.

Waterbased Mixed Media Response
For the top two illustrations on this work sheet, I used a mixture of the graphic illustration pens and waterbased inks, then I used a black fineliner to outline the pieces. The last piece on this worksheet was completed only in watercolour, I also kept the pencil lines for the sketch as pale as possible, this caused the watercolour to make them unseen by the eye. I found that this style of wokring almost matched the illustrations used on dress patterns from this period.

Waterbased Responses
Each of these pieces were painted using watercolour paints. The paintings on the right 
were my first watercolour experiments for the illustration and I found that my pencil lines were too strong and were showing thorugh the paint. For the painting on the left I made the pencil lines very pale and I found that this worked well. Using the 1940's dress patterns as my inspiration I used a slightly darker colour to outline each of the sections. I found that this outlined the painted without have the dark lines of the fineliner. 

Graphic Illustration Pen Responses
For the colour palette in these pieces I chose to focus on the dark green colours that were often seen in Wartime Britian. Dark blues and brown could also be used, as these were popular colours. I then outlined the pieced with a black finelined to give the pieces detail.



Collage Responses
For these pieces I used found materials to create these illustrations. For the first piece I used green paper, from an advertisement in a magazine, I then cut this in very small pieces and glued them down in the shape of the dress. For the second pieces I used fabric samples to cut out the shape of both the dress and the apron. I used a black fineliner to out line these pieces, but I found that it made them look to naive and cartoon like.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent, painstaking work, Sophie. Six years down the line, I hope your work and skills are being appreciated by a far wider audience.

    ReplyDelete